Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Rua (Rua, #1)Rua by Miranda Kavi
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

A girl with an unknown destiny.

A boy from a hidden world.

When Celeste starts at a new school in a small, Kansas town, she hears whispering voices, has vivid nightmares, and swarms of blackbirds follow her every move. She is oddly drawn to aloof Rylan, the other new student who has his own secrets.

The exact moment she turns seventeen, she wakes to a bedroom full of strange creatures, purple light emanating from her hands, and Rylan breaking in through her bedroom window.

He knows what she is . . .


This book was effortless for me to fall into. Kavi’s style of writing is easy to follow, steady paced, and I found myself falling in love with the setting. I enjoyed the introduction of Gaelic lore. I love the culture and it’s a beautiful language. I only wish I knew more of it myself.

Now I wouldn’t exactly say this book was extremely amazing, but it was definitely a light and pleasant read. The characters are easy to fall in love with, especially the two handsome guys, Rylan and Tink. Who wouldn’t want to be surrounded by two guys all the time? Worry not; there isn’t any love triangle here, Tink happens to be the awesome bestie, while Rylan is the mystery we still can’t figure out. Although we happen to find out what he is, I don’t believe we have truly figured out who he is. This is hopefully something we get to learn about further in the second installment.

The only thing I wasn’t fond of was the passage of time in the first half of the book, or rather lack thereof. It seemed the characters’ relationships advanced a little too fast for just one week. The relationships themselves felt fine, but I think if there could have been just a little more time that transpired in between some of the dialogue it may have helped them have more depth and feel more realistic in the beginning.

All in all, I think this is a job well done for Kavi’s debut. If you are looking for a quick and pleasant read, look no further; Rua is it. I look forward to the next installment and can’t wait to see the cover release (this one was gorgeous!).

I am thankful the author gave me a copy for an honest review.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment